- This event has passed.
Schoolhouse: Zippered Project Pouch
January 11, 2020 @ 10:30 am - 2:30 pm$25
Note: This is a members-only event. If you haven’t joined, what are you waiting for? Click here for info.
Date: January 11, 2020
Time: 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM. If anyone would like make additional pouches or sew on other projects, we can stay until 4:00
The Fabric Chic
170 English Landing Dr
Parkville, MO 64152
This custom pouch can be made from a vintage, or modern dish towel or other kitchen linens. Or use any interesting fabric from quilting cotton (great for featuring a large print motif) cotton canvas, cotton/linen blends or home decor fabric. Most dish towels are 16″ – 20″ wide and can make a pouch that is 12″ – 14″ tall. You can make a larger or smaller project, depending on the fabric you wish to feature.
You will need:
- A dish towel or other textile to be used for the front and back of your pouch. You will need two pieces of equal size, so a towel that is cut in half or a towel with coordinating fabric for the back. If you are using other fabric, a half yard or two fat quarters that coordinate will be sufficient.
- You will need a coordinating fabric for binding the zippers and the circumference of the pouch, OR a coordinating color of extra wide, double fold bias tape (.5″). You will need about 2 to 2.5 yards of two inch wide binding, so one 3 yard package of bias tape or a fat quarter of coordinating fabric will be enough. I will have two bias tape making machines at the workshop which we can use to quickly make the bias tape (without burning fingers!) If you would like to prepare in advance, cut 2″ bias strips of fabric and join them to make one piece 2″ wide by 2.5 yards long.
- A zipper that is wider than the width of your towel (or desired project width). Please select nylon teeth zipper (not metal) – a 22″ garment zipper is great, a purse or handbag zipper works fine, as well. Nylon zippers can easily be cut to size, if a smaller size is needed.
- Your sewing machine and general sewing notions.
- A walking foot can be very helpful, as well as a zipper foot.
- A ruler that is at least 18″ long.
- Wonder tape is also very handy for installing the zipper.
Your class fee will include vinyl and decor bond. If you wish to make more pouches, these supplies are available for purchase at the Fabric Chic.
Each participant will receive:
- 1/2 yard of Decor Bond (Pellon 809) a 1/2 yard – enough for one average size pouch or possibly two smaller ones.
- 1/2 yard of 12 gauge clear vinyl – a half yard of 58″ vinyl will make several pouches – for one pouch, you need a piece as large as your finished project – about 16″ x 15″.
The Fabric Chic has a variety of zipper colors as well as vinyl and decor bond.