Hello KCMQG members!
Our latest guild meeting was held on September 10, 2015 in the Hudson Auditorium at the Nerman Museum on the Johnson County Community College Campus. Our guest speaker was Elizabeth Hartman of Oh, Frannson! She shared her quilts and talked a bit about design and construction. She even did a little demonstration on how to quilt a large quilt on an (invisible) sewing machine and told us the secret to changing the size of a pattern.
We did misspeak regarding membership dues at the meeting. According to the bylaws, our membership cost can not be reduced until after December 31st. This is because we still submit a portion of the dues to the national organization for everyone who joins throughout the calendar year. If you brought a friend to the meeting and they were hoping to join, the cost is $50 through the end of the year. Starting on January 1st, the cost will drop to $25. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
We are looking for a member to act as our meeting photographer in the coming months. If you are interested in volunteering as the guild photographer, please contact Maggie Aisenbrey at [email protected].
Quilt Con Charity Quilt:
The theme of this year’s charity quilt project for QuiltCon 2016 is “Improv with Intent.” If you’re interested in contributing to this project, make a strata to turn in at the October guild meeting. The rules are:
- Pick one color as your focus. Color choices are: white, off-white, sunflower, tomato red, light teal, grey, and black.
- Create an improv strata with solids and prints.
- Make sure prints and accent colors only include colors in our palette.
- Strata should be at least 12″x12″, but can be bigger.
Please note the deadline for the Quilt Con Charity quilt is next month’s meeting. Kristin Marciniak put together a handy sheet of guidelines for this project. You can find a copy of it attached to this email if you missed picking up a copy at the meeting.
Stuffed Animals Project:
This year we’ll be creating stuffed animals to donate to the KCK Police Department. These stuffed animals we will be donating will be taken by police officers and given to children who are in scary situations. This could be domestic violence, car accidents, or any other situation where receiving something special could help a child cope with something that could be very frightening. Kristin Marciniak has started two pinterest boards where you can find patterns or tutorials for projects that would be appropriate for this charity program. KCMQG Plushie Patterns (FREE) and KCMQG Plushie Patterns (Paid). We are planning to collect the stuffed animals twice a year, with the first collection happening sometime in the late fall.
- Make a quilt no larger than 42″x42″ inspired by three Clue Cards – a suspect, a weapon and a room.
- There are no sign-ups, so feel free to choose your three Clue Cards on your own. If you missed picking a card in person, you can find all of the characters, weapons, and rooms and pick your favorites by visiting this link.
- Reveal will be at the November meeting.
One Hour-Basket Holiday Swap
- Participants will be asked to make a One Hour Basket using a given fat quarter as the lining.
- They can make the outside and handles out of coordinating fabric(s). It may be pieced, appliquéd, embellished, or left plain.
- Pattern for the “1 Hour Basket” can be found here: http://www.craftsy.com/
- September meeting: Brown paper bags will be available.
- October meeting: Bring a fat quarter in a paper bag with your name on the bottom and whether you want a holiday or non-holiday basket made for you. Bags will be turned in at the meeting and swapped.
- December meeting: Bring back finished basket filled with a small gift ($10.00ish). Wrap the whole thing up and include a tag wihich includes To: and From:
Autumn Day Retreat
September 26 at Atonement Lutheran Church in Overland Park (9948 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS). 9am-8pm.
- $15 for the day, no meals
- $25 for the day with a box lunch.
- $30 for the day with a box lunch & pizza dinner.
If you missed the sign-up email a few weeks ago, here’s the link to sign up. You have until September 18th to register.
January 22-23. Details to follow.
April 8-10, 2016 at Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, Missouri. Details and sign-ups to come in January.
10/8: Monthly KCMQG meeting at 7pm. Angela Walters will be the guest speaker.
Location: Roeland Park Community Center.
10/18: Sewing Day 11am – 5pm.
Location: Show-Me Quilting, 6221 Blue Ridge Boulevard, Raytown, Missouri
11/12: Monthly KCMQG meeting at 7pm. Clue Challenge quilts will be revealed.
Location: Roeland Park Community Center.
12/10: Monthly KCMQG meeting at 7pm. This will be our holiday party.
Location: Kauffman Foundation Conference Center, 4801 Rockhill Road, Kansas City, MO 64110
Check out the new online calendar of events for more upcoming activities.
See you all back in Roeland Park for our October meeting!