Hello KCMQG members!
Our meeting this month is just under a week away! We will be meeting next Thursday, September 10 at 7pm. The location for this meeting has changed. We’ll be gathering in the Hudson Auditorium at the Johnson County Community College. This Auditorium is on the second floor of the Nerman Museum of Contemporary Art. The address for the museum is: 12345 College Boulevard, Overland Park, Kansas 66210.
There will not be a show-and-tell at this meeting.
Elizabeth Hartman (www.ohfransson.com) will be our guest speaker. She’ll also be teaching two workshops next week at the Roeland Park Community Center. There are still openings in both days and you can sign up for either class by following this link. The details for the workshops are:
Workshop 1: Fox and Hedgehog.
- Wednesday, September 9, 5pm-9pm
- Roeland Park Community Center Auditorium
- Pattern required (not included)
Workshop 2: Patchwork City
- Thursday, September 10, 10am-4pm
- Roeland Park Community Center Auditorium
- Book Required (not included)
Stuffed Animals Project:
This year we’ll be creating stuffed animals to donate to the KCK Police Department. These stuffed animals we will be donating will be taken by police officers and given to children who are in scary situations. This could be domestic violence, car accidents, or any other situation where receiving something special could help a child cope with something that could be very frightening. Kristin Marciniak has started two pinterest boards where you can find patterns or tutorials for projects that would be appropriate for this charity program. KCMQG Plushie Patterns (FREE)
and KCMQG Plushie Patterns (Paid)
. We are planning to collect the stuffed animals twice a year, with the first collection happening sometime in the late fall.
Quilt Con Charity Quilt:
The theme of this year’s charity quilt project for QuiltCon 2016 is “Improv with Intent.” If you’re interested in contributing to this project, make a strata to turn in at the October guild meeting. The rules are:
- Pick one color as your focus. Color choices are: white, off-white, sunflower, tomato red, light teal, grey, and black.
- Create an improv strata with solids and prints.
- Make sure prints and accent colors only include colors in our palette.
- Strata should be at least 12″x12″, but can be bigger.
- Make a quilt no larger than 42″x42″ inspired by three Clue Cards – a suspect, a weapon and a room.
- We will have Clue Cards to select from at the September meeting.
- Reveal will be at the November meeting.
One Hour-Basket Holiday Swap
- Participants will be asked to make a One Hour Basket using a given fat quarter as the lining.
- They can make the outside and handles out of coordinating fabric(s). It may be pieced, appliquéd, embellished, or left plain.
- Pattern for the “1 Hour Basket” can be found here: http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/home-decor/1-hour-basket-tutorial/136408
- September meeting: Brown paper bags will be available.
- October meeting: Bring a fat quarter in a paper bag with your name on the bottom and whether you want a holiday or non-holiday basket made for you. Bags will be turned in at the meeting and swapped.
- December meeting: Bring back finished basket filled with a small gift ($10.00ish). Wrap the whole thing up and include a tag wihich includes To: and From: information.
Autumn Day Retreat
September 26 at Atonement Lutheran Church in Overland Park (9948 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park, KS). 9am-8pm.
- $15 for the day, no meals
- $25 for the day with a box lunch.
- $30 for the day with a box lunch & pizza dinner.
Sign-up opportunities went out in an email last week. If you missed that email, here’s the link to sign up.
January 22-23. Details to follow.
April 8-10, 2016 at Missouri Star Quilt Company in Hamilton, Missouri. Details and sign-ups to come in January.
9/9: Fox and Hedgehog Workshop with Elizabeth Hartman.5-9pm in the auditorium at the Roeland Park Community Center.
9/10: Patchwork City Workshop with Elizabeth Hartman. 10am-4pm in the auditorium at the Roeland Park Community Center.
9/10: September’s Guild Meeting: Elizabeth Hartman of Oh Fransson!
will be our guest speaker.
Hope to see you all in Johnson County for Elizabeth Hartman next week!